Description of the issue:
Both increasing tourism in the region and demand for access to natural spaces with water areas for recreation purposes compel communities to receive training, render services and provide opportunities that are environmentally sustainable. Cosquin is a city that hosts one million tourists squeezed during the month of the folklore festival, which becomes a determinant factor to consider an inclusive city with protected natural spaces and with a river, which is cultural and natural heritage. The landscape features have outstanding qualities, but the disorganized services offer results in visitor’s not staying. In turn, job opportunities are lacking, which triggers a migration and uprooting process, frequently evidenced by young adults. Most of the young who finish secondary school decide to leave so as to complement their graduate or undergraduate education, or to search for job opportunities.
• To contribute to the improvement of the standard of living of the inhabitants and to the preservation of the cultural and natural heritage of the Reserve as of the development of actions that promote sustainable development of tourism, at the same time providing a space prepared for purposes of education and encouragement of good environmental practices.
• To prepare a municipal space, located on the river bank of Cosquin River, within Río Yuspe Cosquin Reserve, as Environmental Classroom or Environmental Cultural Center or Multi- Purpose Room.
• To include young adults as workers in tourism in town.
• To prepare an area that evidences good practices as regards the environment.
• To strengthen, as regards organization, groups of young adults who have initiatives related to citizen participation and economic enterprises, by offering training and advice.
• To integrate inter-institutional actions that consolidate regional tourism.
• To establish local criteria as regards a regional touristic offer, under the framework of cultural and sustainable tourism, as of a community creation of a tourism and land management plan.
• To install devices to publicize the touristic product and its environmental elements.
Environmental education: the Environmental Center is aimed at carrying out environmental interpretation activities by providing an educational workshop so as to achieve active participation in the community.
New labor sources: those who have already participated in the educational workshops will have the possibility to be incorporated to the operative works of the Natural Reserve, especially those people with greater labor-related needs. For the incorporation, registration with the employment office of the municipality is required. Some activities include: control of invasive species, reforestation with native species, preparation and placing of interpretative signals, construction of interpretative trails, monitoring of wild animals, guide to assist tourism and schools that wish to go on field trips, control of soil erosion, among others.
Amount requested: ARS 690,000
Contribution from the Municipality: ARS 120,000
Total Amount: ARS 810,000
Translator: Valentina Acosta Cambas